Wednesday 14 January 2015

Well another day at the clinic!!

I've probably given 60 units of blood in my life. I can't now - at least I couldn't because I have been on a small dose of aspirin for several years. This has irked me. Because it's the one charity donation that we can give without having to first earn it or purchase it. But today marked something different.

Today I received two units of red cell blood in a serum. The white cells taken away because they could injure my non-existant immune system.


Kym graciously took me - even though I bickered - she could have a little time for herself; for heaven's sake!! I was pretty pleased she did actually. Don't forget this girl has put her own job and earnings on hold for me. Lets put this in context - this is love without asking for a single dime! And I hope she figures in your thankful prayers - because she's in mine and she has given me a fighting chance!!!


I won't bore you with the boredom - but six or so hours sitting in a "hospital" easy chair being hooked up to a bag of red blood and a pump is more than many could stand - or sit. I was glad of her company - even her breakfast bar biscuit - oh no missus no more bran . . . .


The staff team in the Luton and Dunstable department were superb, friendly, efficient and very good at explaining things to a crazy old git like me. It has restored my faith in the capacity of humanity to love and serve others with great quality of real care.


Basically it all went well and I've got just over half a litre of some other kind soul's red blood cells (irradiated - of course - that's like vintage!)


The rushing sounds in my head have almost gone and I can't recall a palpitation. However, fatigue; I feel absolutely knackered and slightly woozy. How can this be from merely sitting around all day and having a needle shoved into my hand to facilitate a line? At least they didn't shove anything up or down my . . .


There were funny moments - don't wear jeans with a button fly. I couldn't do my trousers up after the toilet. If you're right-handed have the line in your left because I could neither pee properly, nor use toilet paper and do the MRSA swap tests. I will spare you the gory details - but I couldn't do up my trousers properly or secure my belt when returning from the loo. (Remember I've had problems with my bowels!) Where was Kym when I needed a toilet assistant??


We watched a couple of movies on the tablet - ashamed? to say some train ones crept in. 


I count our blessings that we have the NHS and the L and D Hospital. All those staff were wonderfully professional, human and dealt with us patients with kindness and care.


Tayto Crisps, wheat Crunchies and hospital sandwiches were a great accompaniment to the day. I can't with sincerity say it was enjoyable but we made the best of things and had few laughs with the tablet and some art app. Pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment