Tuesday 12 December 2017

Week One + on Ibrutinib

Well it's just over, actually. The side effects have been, more or less, listed on the leaflet. I've had joint pain in my left foot (A good title for this blog) and I might get a movie out of it! I've had a little diarrhoea. My heart has had some sessions of palpitation (atrial fibrillation) - this would be unusual for me as mine generally plods along at around 50BPM. The fatigue has been very variable - sometimes associated with breathless ness and activity, other times it's just there like a cold wet duvet! I feel the effects of anaemia. As I have  thrombocytopenia I have to be careful with cutting  or bruising myself or straining on the loo. Additionally neutropenia renders me vulnerable to infections particularly colds and gastric ones. So I've to take care of myself well. Kym does a fantastic job. It's a bit tough as she's pretty much sacrificed her career to care for her beloved H.

After all that negative stuff I'm pleased to record that the drugs seem to be working pretty well. At the start of this episode my CLL had relapsed. My bone marrow was 70% infiltrated with tumour cells. This helps to explain why all the other blood numbers were jumping up or tumbling down in just the opposite manner expected in a healthy body. There were enlarged lymph nodes all over my torso and neck and I was struggling to keep awake and get around.

So Alleluia, the lumps and bumps are shrinking down, the fatigue seems to be easing, fluctuational (new word) and my excretory business indicates that a lot of stuff is exiting the old carcass. The brain is only slowly responding to the additional oxygen been carried in the blood. My spelling hasn't yet reached back to it's heights of schooldays - this draft is littered by red underlinings.

The cold weather has slowed me down somewhat and since the snow fell on Sunday I've only walked to the Post Office to send the first batch of Christmas cards. I've pretty much stopped getting out and mixing during this initial time. I don't want the risks. Kym is being very protective and is the voice of reason in my slightly chaotic brain.

I've linked a few little movies about Ibrutinib just in case anyone wants to get a bit medical and know what the NHS is spending a LOT of money on. God bless the NHS and we are so fortunate.

Ibrutinib promotion movie

How Ibrutinib works

Ibrutinib: adverse effects

I've recorded a little Christmas song - not a traditional one. I may have had a stab at it a few years back. This is a slightly more "sophisticated" version




Also I've linked in my digitising of some old home movies from 1959. Expect more folks - when the brain gets back to normal in the new year - the projector will be out for some playback sessions. Perhaps I should party - bring a bottle of single malt and a tube of Pringles!


Any way it's about time to log off - I'm tired and hungry and my brain hurts!!

God bless everyone,

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment